Be Part of a Pivotal Moment in History.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota is looking for a Policy Associate to join our team! The Policy Associate will be a dynamic professional who is looking for a meaningful opportunity in a proven and vibrant organization that makes profound differences in the lives of individuals. Our mission is timely, our staff is committed to protecting civil liberties, and we are poised to succeed, with a growing community of more than 30,000 donors and members.
At the ACLU of Minnesota, we take pride in our reputation of more than 65 years of fighting the hard fight for people whose civil liberties are threatened or denied. And now—as we enlarge our staff to face the current threats to our civil liberties —is the ideal time to join us!
Working alongside the Legislative Director, the Policy Associate will engage in state legislative and executive branch advocacy as well as lobby before local government bodies and administrative agencies, and engage the Minnesota congressional delegation.
Working under the supervision of the Legislative Director, the Policy Associate will collaborate with other staff, including legal, communications, and field, on integrated advocacy initiatives.
The position is based in our Minneapolis office, providing access to the best that the Twin Cities area offers.
Our Policy Associate will:
Assist in strategy
by collaborating with the Legislative Director to identify and articulate legislative strategic issue priorities. Strive to keep policy work focused on and in line with those priorities.
Collaborate on all aspects of the legislative and policy program
by working on priority issue campaigns consistent with organizational priorities. Analyze legislation; maintain bill tracking database and hearing schedule. Assist in drafting legislation, amendments, preparing and delivering written and oral testimony, and support of allies in their development and delivery of testimony. Conduct issue-related research and analysis and draft supporting material including fact sheets, issue papers, talking points, reports, op-eds, and blogs.
Build trusted relationships
with state and local lawmakers and staff, administrative agencies, the Governor’s office, lobbyists, and other stakeholders by providing clear analysis and resources. Identify opportunities for bipartisan support on ACLU issues. Work in partnership with allied organizations, individuals, and diverse coalitions. Collaborate with staff to implement integrated advocacy policy initiatives involving a combination of policy, legal, communication, public education, and organizing strategies. Coordinate with outreach staff to engage grassroots activists in lobbying efforts. Represent the organization at coalition meetings, policy work groups, and events.
Support the Legislative Department
by participating in legislative interim activity and monitor implementation of existing laws. Supervise volunteers and interns. Work collaboratively with the national ACLU and other ACLU affiliates to advance nationwide policy campaigns. Attend national and regional ACLU training and staff conferences. Handle additional projects as assigned by the Legislative Director.
Our new Policy Associate will have these essential attributes:
* Professional experience in public policy development, legal advocacy, political campaigns, organizing, or government affairs work.
* A commitment to centering equity and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
* Experience working effectively with diverse populations and a personal approach that values differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
* Ability to be proactive, understand the political landscape, and be able to work effectively on issues that require bipartisan support.
* Exceptional analytical, research, writing, and oral advocacy skills, as well as the ability to articulate complex issues and communicate them clearly, respectfully, and effectively to a variety of audiences.
* Ability to work independently and keep organized in a fast-paced and often stressful environment, to manage several projects simultaneously, and to adjust strategy to frequently changing demands.
* A demonstrated ability to work respectfully and effectively with coalitions and community groups, including sensitivity to political dynamics around partner groups.
* Available to work long hours and weekends during the legislative session.
* Ability to travel to meetings and events in the Twin Cities metro area and throughout the state.
* Experience with a demonstrated understanding of Minnesota’s legislative process would be a strong plus.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
* A diplomatic touch and a sense of humor.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree a plus.
Finally, our next Policy Associate will bring a commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU of Minnesota, along with a personal dedication to a professional team that will bring us into our next 65 years as Minnesota’s guardian of liberty.
Salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $50,000 - $60,000 per year. We offer excellent benefits, including health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer contribution; and sick, vacation, and holiday leave.
Are You Ready to Help Lead Us into the Future?
Submit a letter of interest, a resume or C.V., a professional and relevant writing sample of no longer than five pages, and three professional references, identifying their relationship to you and including their email addresses and phone numbers. Also, please let us know how you learned of this career opportunity.
Send this information to: email@example.com. Please put “Policy Associate” in the subject line.
All attachments must be in Word or .pdf format.
Applications will be accepted only until January 4, 2019. If this job sounds interesting, please apply immediately!
ACLU-MN is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACLU-MN encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
ACLU-MN undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed.)